1. Welcome! This dog forum was created by dog lovers from all around the globe, experts and amateurs who believe in the balance between humans and dogs. Please feel free to sign up and join one of our ongoing discussions or start your own!

Sudden back/leg pain?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Safety Forum' started by KarenK, Feb 2, 2012.

1. KarenK

KarenK Lovely Lady Pack Leader

Library Teacher
    I just got back from taking Kayla to the vet emergency hospital. I walked Kayla after work and she seemed a little off. Then I had to run out to a meeting. We got back to the house around 6:30 and when I went to feed her, she wobbled to her bowl and lay down. She wouldn't eat and seemed very upset, with trembling. She was walking with her hind quarters tucked down as if she were in pain.
    We decided to take her to the vet referral hospital just in case it was a true emergency. The doctor there suspects she's injured her back, either with a disc problem or a soft tissue injury. Rather than launch right into expensive imaging and lab work, we decided to try rest, confinement, and tramadol and see how she does.
    Between the excitement of the vet hospital and the trauma of having pain and the tramadol, Kayla is now sound asleep on the living room floor. She did have an appetite when we got back, so I'm glad she got some food into her.
    Have any of your dogs taken tramadol for pain? Did it make them drowsy, at least at first? They gave her an injection of it at the hospital and pills to give her beginning tomorrow morning. I'm worried about her back. It all came on so suddenly, which makes me think some kind of injury. The doctor also said at her age it could be cancer of the spine and that makes my blood run cold. Kayla and I could use your prayers and positive energy right now. Thanks!

2. Nutmag

Nutmag stray dog Pack Leader

I am sorry to hear that. I have never used that medication but I wouldn't be surprised if it made her drowsy. Hang in there. Nobody can know if it is cancer until they test her. Hopefully she'll recover soon. Sending lots of hugs to you and her.
  3. Africanis

Africanis Wild Dog Pack Leader

Hi Karen, I am sorry to hear about Kayla. I am in a similar situation with my old Tazz - right hindleg lame - and we can't give the normal medications due to Kidney issues. Do you maybe have Arnica to give Kayla? It is a natural anti-inflammatory and it helps good. I am holding thumbs it is nothing more serious than 'just' an injury :) - Let us know how she does.
  4. Lia

Lia Under Dog Pack Leader

Barking away...
    Oh Karen... I am so sorry to hear. Bigs hugs to both!!!

Siba cant be on any kind of medicine either due to his kidneys as well. But I have found massage and T-TOUCH very comforting for his limping. The old man has arthritis and some days are a bit painful for him.

I really hope it all goes well and Kayla will be better in no time!
  5. Skip

Skip Guard dog Pack Leader

Secondary school teacher
    Karen try not to automatically think the worst - chances are she has just done something minor and will recover well in time - rest is really important.
    Sending our best wishes...
  6. mishkasmummy

mishkasmummy Alpha Bitch Pack Leader

Slave to the Pooches
    Karen - yes of course it COULD be something serious but quite frankly coming on that quick it could equally be something she has done to herself, twisted a muscle, tweaked a disc. Like Lia says TTOUCH is great or - if you have a Bowen Therapist nearby get her checked out - it will not react with anything the vet is doing and will check her muscles....
    Keep us posted...
  7. Adrienne

Adrienne Kiss me! Pack Leader

Dogs
    I use Tramadol a lot...I really like it. It's a non narcotic medication and works through the serotonin and dopamine receptors, I think. I'm not absolutely positive about this but it has something to do with serotonin because I can't take it. Tramadol is also used for people. When you use Tramadol in conjunction with Rymidil (some of you probably know it as Novox) it increases the effectiveness of Rymidil by 20%. I use the combination in almost all my old dogs. It's the next step "up" for pain control, over just Rymidil or aspirin. (Don't ever use Aspirin and Rymidil together!)

I think its probably something minor. Sheesh...I hurt myself sleeping sometimes and I don't know how. I think rest and maybe t-touch or massage will help too. Don't fret...it seems very unlikely it's something serious. She's just an old girl and things happen to old girls....I know...they happen to me. :)
  8. Carney

Carney Mature Dog Pack Leader

I’ve given Tramadol to my dogs and have also taken it myself. It seems to work great for pain of this type. It does have a sedative effect, so don’t worry about that. As to Kayla, I’ve lived through similar situations with my own dogs and the foster dogs. It’s scary, but 90% of the time the dog recovers fully in time. For now, keep her quiet, but do allow her to move some s to keep the muscles from tightening. I would do short leash walks several times throughout the day. Trying some of the natural cures would also be very worthwhile. I find a combination of complimentary treatments leads to faster and more complete healing. We’ll all keep you and Kayla in our thoughts, so please keep us posted.
  9. KarenK

Library Teacher
    Thank you one and all. We have an appointment with Kayla's regular vet this morning. She said over the phone it sounds a lot like a tick borne illness and she wants to do some blood work. She said she's seen ALOT of tick borne illness with the warm winter we've had. It can come on suddenly and present the same symptoms Kayla is exhibiting. I will most definitely keep you posted. It's so hard to see my bouncy girl on the down and out. Your support is incredible, I can't thank enough. Adrienne, I too can hurt my back sneezing, so I'm sure it could still be a back problem.
  10. scheumsa

scheumsa Three Stooges Pack Leader

Hi Karen,

Look forward to your update. Hope Kayla is fine.
  11. KarenK

Library Teacher
    The blood test for tick disease was negative, but the vet said you can get a false negative. She put Kayla on doxyclycline just to see if she responds on it. When I got home from work, Kayla got up to greet me. She seems more active and alert and she even ate something, so maybe she's adjusting to the Tramadol. I'll keep you posted. What a ride our pets take us on!
  12. PaulAndMuttley

PaulAndMuttley Shady Dog Pack Leader

Self-employed Electronics Design Engineer
    Home page:
    That's encouraging! Kayla seems like such a sweet girl. Good luck to you both!
  13. teresaserrano

teresaserrano Awesome dog Pack Leader

Hi Karen, hope Kayla is doing better and you get to understand exactly what´s going on.
  14. KarenK

Library Teacher
    She seems better than she was 24 hours ago, which I'll take as a good sign. I'm hoping rest and pain meds will get help get my bouncy girl back. Gosh, I hate it when pets don't feel well! I hope we find out what was wrong. Of course, if it is a random injury we may never know. I think I'm going to have her go for smaller sticks in the future. If she is having back problems, carrying logs for a mile probably doesn't help! :rolleyes:
  15. mishkasmummy

mishkasmummy Alpha Bitch Pack Leader

Slave to the Pooches
    How's she doing ?
  16. Northern Girl

Northern Girl Puppy Pack Leader

17. Northern Girl

Northern Girl Puppy Pack Leader

Karen, how's Kayla doing today? Just as important -- how are YOU doing? This is the first chance I've had to get on David's Pack in a while and the first thing I see is your original post about Kayla. After learning about Emma's positive osteosarcoma diagnosis last week, this hit me like a brick in the face! (For those of you not on my Facebook friends list, Emma is my Shadow's natural sister and littermate.)

I hope Kayla is feeling better now, and that her pain is diminshing daily!! At my request, our vet put Callie on the Tramadol back in December for her arthritis, but it didn't seem to help her much -- if at all -- so we put her back on the Rimadyl which has always helped her almost immediately. Callie's now walking normally again instead of with her back legs almost crossed.

Meanwhile, prayers, positive thoughts, and positive, healing energy are already on the way to Kayla and you! Let us know....
    Sue
  18. KarenK

Library Teacher
    Thanks for asking! The vet put her on doxycycline just in case it was tick borne illness and she was better within 24 hours, and absolutely fine by Friday afternoon. Really weird! So, now we don't know, was it an injury or tick illness? Since she responded so rapidly to the doxycycline, the vet's keeping her on it for the full month-long course. We're also keeping her on rest, meaning stairs once a day, one very short leash walk (she needs to sniff to get her bowels going), and a tiny little area outside so she can sit in the sun. I'm weaning her off the tramadol and she still seems fine, so if it was an injury, it appears to have healed. I wish they could tell us where it hurt!
  19. lenkelf

lenkelf Nutter Mutt(er) Pack Leader

hey karen

i am so sorry i came on so late. Gosh that must have been stressful for you!
    I am glad kayla's better and i 100% agree with your vet. We've had an almost 60% increase in tick bite fever cases here this year and some have presented like either intense stomach pain, or severe lower back pain due to the cramping & anaemia. Not saying it isn't, but i think your vet was very sharp to suggest it.
  20. Marieke

Marieke Easter Egg Pack Leader

Glad she is doing well now!