1. Welcome! This dog forum was created by dog lovers from all around the globe, experts and amateurs who believe in the balance between humans and dogs. Please feel free to sign up and join one of our ongoing discussions or start your own!

Mouth Wrestling

Discussion in 'Dog Photo and Video Forum' started by GrowingPack, Apr 12, 2012.

1. GrowingPack

GrowingPack Goliath = Role Model Pack Leader

Make The World Better
    Home page:
    I've been meaning to inquire about this for a long time now. Is this behavior appropriate? Is this okay play? They do this often with each other and Goliath usually starts it, although Jewell started this one today. Jewell makes all the noise (as usual). What bothers me sometimes is how intense Goliath appears to use his mouth. I get that he's just playing and he doesn't break skin, but Jewell has a lot of hair to grab. On another dog with hair more like his, might this cause an issue? Would he know to use less force with another dog? Should I be worrying about Jewell's behavior at all?

Today they went on for about 10 minutes (8 of which I recorded) and they never really got too intense. Typically at some point, their intensity spikes and Jewell will become particularly aggressive (without hurting him) and end the game. Or, they just get to the point where I think a fight might actually break out because Goliath won't stop agitating Jewell when she has had enough and I'll stop them myself. Sometimes it's like they just keep trying to one-up each other in intensity. This time, they just stopped on their own.

The clip is a little over 6 minutes long. I apologize for the darkness as the video progresses. The clouds covered the sun and the curtains were closed. If I got up to open them, the dogs certainly would have stopped wrestling. At the end of the video, they were in those positions for about a minute (Jewell laying down and Goliath standing next to her). Eventually he moved, but I cut the video well before that happened.

Any other questions or clarifications needed, please post!

2. oshwyn5

oshwyn5 Mature Dog Pack Leader

Mine do that all the time; generally it is a best buddy thing.
  3. scheumsa

scheumsa Three Stooges Pack Leader

Totally normal. Mine play like that all the time, but they are mostly standing when they play. in my case, they both make the aaarrgh noise. Nacho sometimes grabs skin on the side of Maddie's face. If he lets go pretty quickly, I don't intervene, but if he holds on for a bit, I typically tell him to "leave it" or just say "Nacho" to get his attention. They don't play like this with other dogs, so I would not worry. Dogs often know how to behave around their own pack vs dogs they have just met.
    Lately, Maddie and Toby have started playing a bit too, but the intensity is still lower, probably because Toby is still newer to the pack.
  4. GrowingPack

Make The World Better
    Home page:
    Yea I should mention Jewell and Goliath are usually standing when they do this too. Now that I think about it, they usually get more intense faster when they stand. The intensity ramps up slowly when they're laying down together. Sometimes, Goliath is standing and Jewell is laying down. It's never the other way around.

Thanks for the re-assurance! Best buddies they are!
  5. scheumsa

Mine get much louder too when standing. LOL. They can sound downright ferocious. Here is an example. It is actually quieter than normal.

http://s1137.photobucket.com/albums/n509/escfern/?action=view&current=20111106PinnaclePassTr2.mp4

I will say that I do not allow any higher intensity wrestling in the house. Here is my logic. I have no idea if it makes sense. BUT! I feel like in the house they have to be calm. I am hoping that this also translates into resting and being calm while I am gone. I feel like this reduces the chance of an incident like escalated play while they are home alone. As far as I can tell, they just sleep while I am gone.
    After all, they get plenty of exercise on a daily basis.
  6. GrowingPack

Make The World Better
    Home page:
    That was really cool. They are more intense than Jewell and Goliath. Or maybe it's just cuz they're significantly smaller? I was gonna say I will record them next time they wrestle outside, but I remembered this:

Not really much mouthing from Goliath in this one; he spent a lot of time on his back.
  7. Floridaag

Floridaag Puppy Member

That is about what Babka looks like when she is playing with her buddies
  8. oshwyn5

You think that is intense? I will have to film the husky and rottie or ridgeback and shepherd in a wrestling match some time. An uninformed person might mistake it for a dog fight, but in the end no blood is drawn, and they lay down land lick the insides of each others ears and roll over on their backs and do the happy wriggle dance.
  9. scheumsa

Ha ha, Ryan. Love how Jewell steamrolls Goliath. Mine can get a lot louder. Also, Maddie loves to stalk Nacho. He will act like he doesn't know it, all nonchalant yet watching her out of the corner of his eye, but he is ready for her every time when she charges. LOL.
  10. lenkelf

lenkelf Nutter Mutt(er) Pack Leader

this is what i call the Jowlie Game with my group. all of them do it and the sweetest thing is when bonnie does it with ANY of the big dogs - i mean, the biggies could easily do one chomp and bye bye bonbons, but they scale their chomps down hugely when she's playing with them.
    its definitely buddy stuff.
    i love it when mine do it coz it means they're not picking on the cats, my feet, my slippers, the garden etc. its also kind of noisy peaceful, if you get my drift?
  11. Nutmag

Nutmag stray dog Pack Leader

The same thing my dogs do. They did it even more when Snowy was here. Snowy was most intense, then Mari, Niko and Flu. Mari definitely was the one who controlled it. If she doesn't want to do it, she growls. When she is done, she growls. I never correct her for that. I think Jewell is a lot like Mari. They are the senior ladies who keep things under control. :)
  12. Nutmag

Nutmag stray dog Pack Leader

Just watched the 2nd video. Oh my, Jewell is a power house. She just bulldozes Golitah over. Love it. :)
  13. lenkelf

lenkelf Nutter Mutt(er) Pack Leader

i am hosing myself right now. I just played the second video while sitting in my chair downstairs and emma & sophie went HARING outside looking for the invaders, and, when they came back in started barking at the laptop!
  14. oshwyn5

Mine too watched with interest. The funny thing is that your shepherd looks a lot like mine and at one point the ones watching the vid got up and went to check to make sure she was here and not out wrestling with some strange dog.