1. Welcome! This dog forum was created by dog lovers from all around the globe, experts and amateurs who believe in the balance between humans and dogs. Please feel free to sign up and join one of our ongoing discussions or start your own!

Down syndrome child and labrador

Discussion in 'Dog Photo and Video Forum' started by Nutmag, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Nutmag

Nutmag stray dog Pack Leader

Any thoughts on this? The dog is obviously very patient and attentive. Seems to me that the child is trying to get away from him. I have no experience with down syndrome children, so anybody?

2. scheumsa

scheumsa Three Stooges Pack Leader

Interesting. The child does not seem to want the dog in his face. I can understand that. The child is actually displaying some great calm, assertive moves, and is setting boundaries. I do love the calmness of the dog and how he is trying to engage the boy.

I suspect he is more than capable of crawling away, but just seems to want some space. Many down syndrome children are quite intelligent, especially if pushed to their full potential while growing up. Some even grow up to live independently, have jobs and drive cars. I believe there are different levels of severity. I saw an interesting program on it once. This child seems fairly switched on to me, but I could be way off base.
    KarenK, lenkelf and Nutmag like this.
  3. Jofi

Jofi Everything will be alright in the end,trust me Pack Leader

Dog behaviourist
    I'm in love with this dog........ Urgh, I know I know I fall in love easily, what can I say cept I am just a big lump o llluuurrrvvveeeee;)
    KarenK, mishkasmummy, lenkelf and 3 others like this.
  4. oshwyn5

oshwyn5 Mature Dog Pack Leader

My thoughts are that this dog is a trained companion animal, therapy dog of sorts.
  5. Nutmag

Nutmag stray dog Pack Leader

I was thinking more of the child's behavior in this case. Not so much the dog. What is going on in the kid's mind?
  6. relax

relax Grownup Pack Leader

It looks like they are playing (very gently), and sometimes the kid wants more space. AJ does some of those moves on Shep (gentle pawing), but he knows when Shep has had enough. I see it as just a little communication dance.
  7. Marieke

Marieke Easter Egg Pack Leader

I agree, the child wants the dog to keep just a little bit away from him, but he seems to like its company. Both seem very calm and sweet.
  8. lenkelf

lenkelf Nutter Mutt(er) Pack Leader

i really like this dog....he's very respectful while trying to engage....really sweet from both sides
  9. KarenK

KarenK Lovely Lady Pack Leader

Library Teacher
    I too am in love with the dog. Is that "her" boy? Kayla always treated my youngest as if he were her littermate and even now that he's 20, he's still special to her. This dog is like Nana in Peter Pan, she seems very motherly to that little boy. What a sweet video!